Health, beauty, and body modification premises

Folded towels and beauty products

You must comply with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic) and associated regulations if you intend to operate a business such as:

  • hairdressing
  • tattooing or skin penetration
  • beauty therapy and
  • colonic irrigation premises.

For more information about your obligations as a business owner, visit the Department of Health website.

We also recommend that you discuss your proposal with our Planning and Building teams for advice before you submit an application to register your business. 

Register your business 

You are required to register your business with us prior to operation.

Your business registration always applies to the period of 1 January to 31 December, even if you apply late in the year. Registration must be renewed annually prior to 31 December each year.

Your renewal payment is required before the new registration period commences. Penalty fees may apply if you do not pay by the due date.

Pay your registration/renewal

Initial application

Ensure that you've discussed your proposal with our Planning and Building teams before you lodge your application with the Environmental Health Department.

Two copies of your premises’ floor plans must be submitted with your application for assessment before you start work on the premises.

Plans must show all relevant details including:

  • dimensions 
  • details of fixtures and fittings.

Once you have received a letter of assessment, work may commence. However, we recommend that progress inspections take place during the works phase.

Final inspection

After we carry out a satisfactory final inspection, you will be issued with a Certificate of Registration under the Act. Then you can start trading.

Once your premises are registered, we will inspect the business at least once a year, depending on circumstances.

Buying an existing business

Purchasing an existing business? First, you must transfer the business’ current Public Health and Wellbeing Act Registration.

To organise an inspection of the premises before purchasing, please call our Environmental Health team on 03 9249 4000 during business hours.

Operating a business from home

You must contact our Environmental Health team to discuss the requirements for registration or notification if you plan to operate a business from your home, such as:

  • hairdresser 
  • beauty therapist
  • tattooist.

It's likely you'll need to book an inspection of your premises to ensure all requirements have been met. This inspection must take place before your business can start trading. 

Visit our Home businesses page to learn more about your requirements as a home business owner. 

Mobile businesses

Hairdressers and beauty therapist

You still need to register your principal place of business (for example, your home) with us, or another council if that place is located in another municipality.

Skin penetration business 

Mobile tattooing, piercing and/or other forms of skin penetration businesses are not permitted to operate under the Act

More information 

For more information, please contact our Environmental Health team on 03 9249 4000 during business hours.

Last updated: 30 May 2023 - 10:36am