hands holding a house shaped wooden object

Homelessness takes many forms. It includes people living on the street or in cars (‘rough sleeping’), staying temporarily with other households (‘couch surfing’), or living in severely overcrowded dwellings.

In Melbourne's west, Brimbank has one of the highest numbers of people experiencing homelessness. The 2021 census discovered that over 1,500 people are experiencing homelessness or living in severely overcrowded dwellings in Brimbank, making it the fifth highest in Victoria which is an increase of 35% since 2011.

Our role in tackling homelessness

Preventing and responding to homelessness is the responsibility of all levels of government. While we do not directly offer housing or support services, we continue to work with our partners, including community organisations and government agencies, to support the community members experiencing or at-risk of homelessness.

In 2020, we endorsed a research report into homelessness in Brimbank. The report's recommendations have been compiled into an implementation plan. The plan includes actions focused on a range of topics, including advocacy, community education, Council protocols, information provision, and research and data collection.

In 2023, we provided a submission to the Federal Government's 10-year National Housing and Homelessness Plan. Our submission offers insights into the housing and homelessness landscape in Brimbank, along with suggestions on how all levels of government can work together to end homelessness.

Rough sleeping

Sleeping rough can refer to anyone who is living on the streets, sleeping in parks, or squatting in derelict buildings for temporary shelter. It is not illegal to be homeless in a public place in Victoria.

Our approach to addressing rough sleeping reflects the principles of Victoria’s Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities, emphasising the treating of all people with respect and dignity. Wherever possible, people sleeping will be referred to homelessness services for support.

How to respond to rough sleeping

You can notify us of instances where people are rough sleeping by contacting our Customer Service team on 03 9249 4000 from Monday to Friday between 8.45am - 5pm. After 5pm calls go to our after hours service. Alternatively, you can email info@brimbank.vic.gov.au.

If the person is distressed or unwell, appears to be at risk of harming themselves or others and/or is with a child under 18 years of age, contact Victoria Police on 000.

Homelessness support services

Salvation Army - Western Metro Homelessness Services

Western Metro Homelessness Services is the primary assessment and intake point for the Brimbank-Melton area.

IPC Health

IPC Health provides support to people experiencing homelessness and those at risk of homelessness in Brimbank, including primary healthcare, assertive outreach, and case management support.

Cohealth Homeless Health and Support Service

Cohealth provides support and advice to people experiencing or at risk of homelessness in the West, including assertive outreach, drop-in service, and case management support.

Bolton Clarke: Homeless Persons Program

The Bolton Clarke Homeless Persons Program provides a local assertive outreach, primary health response.

Victorian Homelessness Crisis Line

Speak with a housing or support worker if you are experiencing or at risk of homelessness.

Council to Homeless Persons: Homelessness Advocacy Service

Council to Homeless Person provides an advocacy service for people experiencing homelessness.

Salvation Army Crisis Centre

Provides after hours information and emergency accommodation for people experiencing an immediate homelessness crisis.

  • Open 9am-11pm, seven days per week
  • 1800 627 727 available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week
  • 29 Grey Street, St Kilda

Frontyard Youth Services

Frontyard Youth Services provide support for young people aged 16 to 24 experiencing homelessness.

Housing Vic (Department of Families, Fairness and Housing)

Information for current public housing tenants, potential social housing tenants and anyone wanting to know about housing in Victoria

For local enquiries

For general and after hours enquires

Safe Steps

Specialist support service for anyone who is experiencing or afraid of family violence.

Ask Izzy

Ask Izzy is a website that connects people in need with housing, a meal, money help, family violence support, counselling and much more.

Inspire Hope

Inspire Hope is a local charitable organisation that provides support for disadvantaged people and those living in poverty.

  • 0412 425 520
  • info@inspirehope.org.au
  • Outreach support on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
  • Lunch provided on Wednesdays at Tin Shed, 309A Main Road East, St Albans and every second Sunday in the car park at Grow Church, 95 Alfrieda Street, St Albans.

Tenants Victoria

Tenants Victoria is a support organisation providing information, advice and legal representation for Victorians who rent their homes.

  • Tenant advice: 03 9416 2577 -Monday to Friday 9.30am to 1.30pm
  • Social housing tenants: 1800 068 860 - Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm
  • Community worker link: 03 9411 1444 - Monday to Friday 9am to 1.30pm

Useful resources

The following offers further information and assistance:

Contact us

For more information, please contact the Social Policy Officer on 9249 4000 or email info@brimbank.vic.gov.au

Last updated: 22 January 2024 - 7:31pm